PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to solo; now versus the "good old days"
Old 4th Nov 2014, 20:42
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble is for me the good old days began when I was 50 years old already, so progress not spectacular. However, at that time I had enough money to throw at flying and decided as I wasn't getting any younger, to do as much as possible as soon as possible. So solo in a glider in 65 airtow launches at Booker (WAP), and the next summer the silver "C" (5 hours endurance, 1,000 meter gain of height, and 50 k cross country) entitled me to get the power license in 16 hours.

Having sensibly handed in my medical at the age of 78 (or was it 77? can't remember now!) I still fly in a 2 seater glider in the instructor's seat, while my safety pilot has to sit in the front seat and suffer. Last Saturday flew on aerotow to 2,500' at Shenington, and found lift! soared for 29 minutes, and didn't have to come down except they were waiting on the ground for me to bring the glider back. This on the first day of November! Wow! Absolutely delightful.

But if you think that me still flying at 81 is remarkable, a chap named Derek Piggot stopped by not too long ago at Shenners, and he passed his check ride no problem, went off in his vintage glider for a jolly. But he's got a lot more in his logbook than most of us mortals.