PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air 200 down at KICT - 4 Fatal
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2014, 18:42
20driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Single vs Twin

This accident illustrates an interesting play on the single vs twin safety. ( I know at least one person who will not fly in a Single, "Twins are safer" )
Turbine engines are very reliable but they do fail. In this case if the plane had been say a PC-12 in all likelihood the pilot would have walked, quite possibly putting the plane down on the runway. (Also if it was a random failure - he would have had 50% less chance of the engine failure in the first place. )

I remember seeing a video of a King Air (pretty sure it was Brazil) flying single engine in the pattern and burying itself on the base to final. If it had been a single the pilot would have had no choice but to do an off field landing. As long as he maintained control things would likely have been OK.

I have never flown a twin but could imagine that a real life failure such as described here would be a handful. He probably only had a few seconds to make his moves and even then there might not have been anything he could have done. I'm pretty sure the NTSB will get to the bottom of it

20driver

Cirrus Falcon - " why so unpleasant" - suggest you read what you wrote. Your posts show lack of technical skill. Social skill are even lower.