PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2014, 18:18
GS-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those questioning where I get £100k from, the approximate cost of a brand new R22, inclusive of VAT is 215k. The approximate cost of a new G2 is £315k by today's exchange rates. The cost of a newly overhauled R22 is obviously cheaper still.

Exceed the limitations in any aircraft and you will encounter problems. That's why they have limitations. I completely agree that the R22 must be respected a little more the most in order to remain within it's operating limitations. I also totally accept the point about unknown additional costs that can crop up, and indeed historically do crop up with Robinson products. But no one ca guarantee the same won't become true of the G2 with time, nor indeed that all of these problems are not already ironed out in the R22.

I hire an R22 for £275 with an instructor, or £210 SFH (inclusive of VAT). If a G2 costs £360 with an instructor, why is that? Presumably it is to cover the increased cost? Or are G2 schools just fleecing their customers?

HeliHenri, I read your link with interest. The G2 is still a relatively new helicopter and time will tell whether it will need some expensive mandatory alterations or not. If it is still going strong when I decide I need to buy a helicopter in a few years, I'll certainly give it some serious thought.

With the current price differential, I think it is better to go with the devil you know than the devil you don't, but anyone is entitled to disagree with me.