PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2014, 10:53
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ GS Alpha......your financial planning sounds like that of the average Corporate bean-counter who only looks to make a favourable impression and cream off the bonuses, whilst he's in the job....then jump ship before the excreta hits the fan.

If you are that constrained, short term, you really can't afford Rotary.
An aquaintance used to fly an Enstrom....traded" up" to an R44 which bit him big-style.....I believe, some years later,he still walks with a limp and flies an Enstrom again.
Everything I have seen and read about the Robinson product, points to a product built down to a minimum. It succeds and as a result has opened-up an entirely new market....Wannabe's who could never have afforded a heli otherwise, and (probably an unexpected bonus to RHC)-flight-schools who could massively reduce their operating costs whilst offering modern machines.
As pointed out, the downsides to Robinson ownership are the known Lifed components, the known timed components and the unknown failures (rotor-blades?) and very expensive AD's.

AFAIK, there have not been any such calls on the wallet for Guimbal owners.
Everything I have read, suggests a well-engineered product designed for a long and reliable working life.
As such, it's residual will always be higher than a Robinson....
(Something that flight-schools seem to be latching on to! ) Calculate the calendar-life or the hours flown....If you're buying a 10 year old Machine, your Robbo is a hangar-queen in 2 years time...OK she's still worth "core" value for rebuilding........meanwhile, the Cabri owner is still flying AND has all those GPH fuel savings in the bank as well.

Ever heard the expression "penny-wise, pound foolish."?
Given the low interest-rates at the moment, It would make excellent economic sense to borrow the extra to buy a Cabri and start saving from the first turn of the key.

I haven't even started on it's inherently safer, more robust, more forgiving design, yet.

No vested interest here, just an enthusiastic observer who made my little bit of cash the hard way and make every penny count.
Oh, I've never flown in either and I'm highly unlikely to trust my life to a Robinson Aviator whom I don't know to be a true "sky-God"... In other words, "Thanks, but no thanks"...yea, I'm a risk-averse wuss and don't want a violent premature demise even at my age.