PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreigners in the British military?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2003, 22:19
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Jay Doubleyou says they do seem to have a habit of making it up on the hoof. That was the impression I got from the whole event. I entered into extensive correspondance, was rejected on my educational qualifications at first then they were accepted only to be knocked back on the residency requirement which wasn't an issue the first time. This was reduced to one year after more letters. I got the definite impression it depended on which officer you dealt with in the MOD. The five year residence requirement had only recently been implemented. I suspect prior to that it had been an even more ad hoc arrangement. Before that I think it was more on the lines of if your face fits. I did get the definite impression that they were not even sure if it applied to Irish citizens. Previously it worked just like the army who it seems had no such residency rules for Irish people yet had them for others. Massive inconsistency, but I suppose the MOD is famous for that. I can't help shaking the feeling that if I had the sense to storm the portals of the MOD so they could see what 'fine chap' I was. It might have been different.

But then again perhaps as BlueWolf suggests, we Irish were not flavour of the month at the time. Again though I suspect who you dealt with had more to do with it than actual institutional bias. Naturally this possible bias ignores the considerable personal risk any Irishman took by joining the British forces at the time. Going home on leave you could hardly boast of your exploits in the local pub although I knew several guys who served in the British forces who didn't exactly hide it. Down south, we were always a bit more liberal about that kind of thing.

Glad to see it's changed since back to the old sensible system which worked for so long. Too late for me though. Such a pity, I fancied flying the Lightning or even the Phantom. Who know I might still be in service: Air Vice Marshall Sir Corsair, DFC, DSO, VC
Ah dreams!!

Yes the MOD ruined my life

So it would seem, our Dutch friend might have a chance after all.

Last edited by corsair; 23rd May 2003 at 23:36.