PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth World
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2014, 08:49
Aussie Bob

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Let's analyse this whole thread ...

#1 Max asks a question ...

#2 We get a first time poster with an amusing scenario ...

#3 Tim gives another amusing post but in reality flying Tiger Moths on joy flights and operating from Apollo Bay unsupervised does require well above average flying skills (for a beginner)

#6 Seneca offers some good advice, but then again, this route is full of competition.

#10 We get innuendo about cylinders but the fact is 0520 cylinders do occasionally crack. The cracking may or may not be due to pilot handling. The cracking can occur hundreds of hours after mistreatment and not ever as a direct consequence. (I am sure Jabba will back me up on this). A ripple in the wing??? Sure, most 206's have this in a minor way, struth, most are over 30 years old. Way too little info - pure gossip.

#11 we have another first time poster describing a chief pilot getting NONC's. Pure garbage. If the chief pilot is not responsible to CASA then who is? A pocket full of NONC's can be part of the game. Fixing them is another part of the game. Here we have a chief pilot who couldn't play.

#13 We have a dreamer living in the past. His son worked there around 20 years ago ... He thinks nothing ever changes. Perhaps it doesn't but heck, perhaps neither does he.

#15 Deadcut makes a valid point

#17 We are told CASA know the situation and are doing nothing. Perhaps this is because the company is actually complying with legislation and have a good chief pilot? I don't know myself, wouldn't have a clue even, but it is possible.

#18. I reiterate, I know nothing about this operation except that I met (on around 6 occasions), a hard working pilot at Apollo Bay Airstrip who lasted well over two years with this outfit, gained a heap of experience then went on to bigger and better things. I also met his boss, crabby about a bogged aircraft, pissed off about having to drive some distance to extract it, but honest enough to keep said pilot employed and learning.

The point is, jobs for rookies are few and far between. My experience with beginners is that they are mostly a hopeless bunch and I have employed my fair share of em. Part of me wants to go and shake this guys hand, at least he knows what he wants and is honest enough to say so.