PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do we not require 1500 hours for a RHS job ?
Old 4th Nov 2014, 08:29
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ref: 1500hrs in a 2 crew jet.
Having watched programs about Bush flying in Botswana, Ice pilots in Alaska, Air Susi in Indonesia I wonder about this argument. In these theatres of operation the 'blind faith' flying public, and in the case of Botswana in particular some of them are very wealthy, climb aboard a single engine single crew a/c. The chappie up front might have anything from 250-800hrs. Nice new shiny licences in the hands of hour builders. Their learning curve must be steep beyond belief. In the case of Susi Air it was frightening to watch sometimes.
In a word I think the 1500hr rule might be a diversion away from the root cause of the real problem and a sop to various lobbies.
In teaching TQ's we are constantly looking for the root cause of a mis-handled manoeuvre. That is what we focus on. In the case of many incidents/accidents a 1500hr threshold would not have solved the root cause.
I have a much greater concern about the lack of experience in LHS at 1st command, where too much reliance is placed upon SOP's, high class ATC environment, fully hi-tech airports and ultra reliable machinery to keep the newbie captain safe. In my experience the problems I had to deal with and solve rarely came with an answer in QRH. The real challenge was preventing matters ever becoming a problem in the first place. I wonder if 4 years concentrated up/down round the houses of EU is enough.