PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very Strong Gusty Crosswind Landings In A Quad Vs A Twin
Old 4th Nov 2014, 08:21
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Can Only Guess, So I Will...

In no particular order, the Big Quads have 2x-3x or more mass and thus are more stable, especially when already on a ~stable course. One responder notes that the Big Quads are usually driven by older, more experienced pilots. Those older, more (often FAR MORE) experienced drivers 'tend' to fly with a much lighter hand and, where appropriate, allow the embedded FBW systems to do their auto-correction before the human interface can react. Most recognize that current FBW systems react faster - and with a lighter hand than does the human.
That convoluted mouthful said, in a difficult, gusty x-wind approach, I'd much prefer to be in a heavy quad. Why? That older, more mature, more experienced driver is far more likely to call "Go Around and Divert," and simply get the heck out of Dodge City that is the light-weight driver. He did not become 'old' or accumulate 20K+ hours because he took risks just to keep the schedule intact. I'll always prefer to ride behind the light-handed, experienced 'old farts,' in a difficult situation. Ahem - just my two cents' worth. (I too am an old fart. I drive, but only little stuff. I've NEVER found it necessary to land under questionable conditions and yes, I've spent more than one night away from home, waiting for the weather to improve. The decisions to divert must have been good ones, because I'm still here to talk about it.