PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US bases in Oz!
Thread: US bases in Oz!
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2003, 21:28
Gnadenburg

Received 97 Likes on 42 Posts
Sperm Bank

Thank you for an invitation to debate.

As glamorous as F16s based in the NT or Marines in Townsville is, it will not be of any use in threats facing this country. If it was as easily solved by conventional means it would have been done by now.

What we need is intelligence and skilled diplomacy.

I would suggest the American combat troops better off based in Singapore. The rose between Islamic thorns?

This way our foreign policy has a chance without the very real burden that American bases bring. We are already viewed as Bush's Deputy Sherif, bases will bring stinging rhetoric from Asia.

Other problems associated with US bases are:

1) The inevitable social problems they bring-prostitution and a myriad of social tensions. A small town like Katherine plus 2000 Americans, Townsville with 5000 Americans.

2) There is not a single identifiable threat to this country that the American forces would be of use against. The US bases would complicate our difficult Indonesian relationship and provide antagonism from political and religious groups within that country.

The threat to this country has been stated and sadly our first casualties have occued. Where are we softest? Abroad! The target will be a long way from Katherine or Garbutt . Australain business and expats, schools and women and children abroad.

Bases will do nothing. Upgraded intelligence and skilled diplomacy the only counter.

I have left out a skilled military response. Our forces,when needed, are brutally efficient and effective. Why draw attention to strengths?

I am not a Labor man but would invite you to verse yourself in Australian history and the performance of our long gone leaders during wartime. I think you will find Menzies cost us dearly in WW2 and his Vietnam policies not too convincing either.