PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 14:39
Biggles78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote-Danny42]Yet you must always remember, that we were (in the words of the D. Tel.
obituarist): "Ordinary men who did extraordinary things" - to which I would add
"in extraordinary times". We were not "special" in any way, it's just that we
were on watch when it all happened.[/quote]
Sorry Danny but I and I suspect a great many others shall disagree quite strongly. You guys (both sexes) were, are and will always be VERY special!!

Regarding the positive G the Spitfire could pull, I am sure I read a book at some time in the past that mentioned 9G+ and 3G- but it may have been one of the later marks. It was also mentioned that many pilots could have saved themselves by pulling more Gs to out manoeuvre them wot was chasing them. The higher stirrup step on the rudder bar was supposed to allow an extra 1G to be pulled in the turn (or dive pull out).

It seems Brad Pitt, who stared in the tank movie Fury, is so interested in WWII that he is now going to purchase a Spitfire to fly around in. When I was in my early 20s I was offered the chance to sit in a Mk XVI but I decline as I didn't think I had earned the right. Bloody kicking myself now. Sorry, gone off topic.

Danny, your continued words shall be missed. You are an excellent orator and I hope you will consider putting your story to paper and publishing it. I am sure it would be a good seller and spectacular read. THANK YOU for sharing your experiences with us and again to Cliff Nemo for starting the incredible thread. As long as there is cyberspace all your experiences shall live on and on.

When you go home, tell them of us and say,
For your tomorrows they gave their today.

In case I haven't said it before to you;

Thank you for your Service.