PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very Strong Gusty Crosswind Landings In A Quad Vs A Twin
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 14:01
Kilda Ste Hilda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Strong Gusty Crosswind Landings In A Quad Vs A Twin

Recently a junior colleague posed this question to me and I was stumped...I couldn't give her a definitive answer.

According to her, based on personal observations and you tube videos, quads seem to handle better, stable and land reasonably well in strong crosswinds.

Twins tend to rock and roll all over the place. I gave her the answer a former instructor in the Far East told me years ago when I posed a similar question. He opined that the quads like the B747 and A380 have very good " wing loading " on account of the outboard engines, and hence are stable in gusty crosswind conditions. He elaborated on further with other reasons but I only remeber the " wing loading " part as I thought it was BS, good for a laugh. Well, it sounded like wing loading because he explained about the geometry, moments of force and engine weight effects on the wing. Well, I didn't buy it then but I found myself regurgitating the same to my colleague! It's embarrassing!

Anyone with a better explanation?