PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot over drink/drive limit removed from aircraft
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 09:19
Coffin Corner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Possibly.
Is that your experience? Generally? At Flybe?
What a ridiculous statement.

I believe the chances of that happening are so remote that I never give it a thought.
Should I?
Why should that be any more remote or unlikely than any other possibility? Does that mean it couldn't happen? A wing falling off is so remote, but it's happened. A thrust reverser deploying in flight is so remote, but it's happened. A pilot committing suicide and killing everyone on board is so remote, but it's happened. I don't get your point.

It could be. Is that your experience?
Or is it the case "generally speaking" that neither pilot's ability to fly is impaired by alcohol?
No, of course the statistics don't exonerate alcohol as being debilitating to a pilot's ability to undertake his roles nor, equally obviously, do they point to the fact that it's ok to have a wee tipple before boarding an aircraft as flight crew. Is that common practice these days in your experience?
My experience? See answer to quote 1.
Is it common practice to have a tipple before flying? You tell me, you obviously fly, have you witnessed it?

What's the whole story?
Is it your experience that pilots commonly fly whilst impaired by alcohol?
I'm led to believe, by sources I regard as reliable, that there has been a significant culture change during recent decades. Have I been misled?
You tell me what the whole story is, I don't work for the AAIB. Statistics never answer all the unanswered questions, hence they can't possibly "tell the whole story".
Is it my experience that pilots fly whilst impaired by alcohol? Just as ridiculous as quote 1. What do you want me to say? It's easier to count the sober pilots? You spin more rhetoric than the house of lords.
A culture change? In which direction? Would you care to elaborate your experiences?