PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 07:27
ancientaviator62

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Coffman,
everywhere we flew over Somalia there was evidence of widespread destruction of the infrastructure. I did have a pic of some of the dead SAMS etc but it seems to have vanished.
After the incident with the aggressive guard (I did think he may have had khat for breakfast) I wondered outside to take another pic.

Suddenly there was a lot of noise, shouting and movement over on the far side of the pan. My heart jumped at first then I realised that it was the guard of honour forming up. It could only men that the VIP party was returning. We had been on the ground for about half our scheduled time so the talks had either gone very well or very badly. We never did find out but suspected it had to be the latter.
Sure enough they and the rest of the crew swept up to the a/c and everyone boarded. After a VERY careful headcount we started up and carefully retraced our wheel tracks back to the runway and took off for Nairobi.