PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Captain Reduced Power Before NYC Crash Landing
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 22:13
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
I think there will be a few different things at play here. The things that stand out to me are;
1/ There was a lot of 'instruction' from the Captain during the approach about energy management so either the F/O was still learning how to manage the aircraft through the automatics, or the Captain was a bit nervy and micro-managing the F/O as he tried to do his job. I'm not sure which.
2/ There was a lack of discipline shown by both pilots during the approach with regard to how they communicated, it was very relaxed with extra banter. That worked ok when there was no time pressure but when clear decisive SOP's based communication was essential due to time constraints......they weren't in the habit and couldn't communicate clearly.
3/ The. Captain and the F/O were using different references for glide path control. This shouldn't really be a problem, the Captain should look at the approach and decide if it is acceptable to her or not. If it is, continue, if it is not, go around. Why try to salvage it so close to the ground? The difference between glideslope and PAPI may have been a contributor to the situation at 200ft but it was poor decision making and communication by the Captain that placed pressure on her technical skills which were found to be lacking in that circumstance.
In my mind it is a clear case of weak non- tech skills placing pressure on tech skills.