PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency on smog-diverted Chinese plane as two airports refuse landing
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 18:03
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure how it works these days, but… Better to be on the ground and argue the case in safety than be in the air wishing you were on the ground and pissing your pants.

I once had occasion to be flying a biz-jet towards a VIP field that was due to close at XX.ZZ. The pax were on a high power trip. Naturally, with such pax, we were late, but only a couple of minutes. We radioed ahead with our ETA and were told the airfield would be closed to G/A traffic. We ascertained it was still open for scheduled traffic, and was available if we declared an emergency. So we did, fuel, and landed. The local goons met the a/c and inspected the fuel gauges. They said we had enough to divert. We asked to see their ATPL licences. Nothing. Matter closed. We were on the ground in the place of pax wishes and it was not our concern. I wonder? Who's going to blow your balls
off? They will for sure if you run out of motion lotion due to silly political/military diversion.