PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot over drink/drive limit removed from aircraft
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 14:37
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sharksandwich
So we can be more or less agreed that alcohol actually plays such little part in the performance/non-performance of pilots with regard to recorded accidents/incidents that it can be disregarded.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean but, for the avoidance of any misunderstanding, I don't agree that the risks posed by alcohol can or should be disregarded.

Coffin Corner
"Why" have there been so few related accidents? One pilot intoxicated, one pilot not, that could be the answer.
Possibly.
Is that your experience? Generally? At Flybe?
Look at it this way; both pilots intoxicated. Now would you feel so comfortable placing your loved ones aboard?
I believe the chances of that happening are so remote that I never give it a thought.
Should I?
Is the very reason there hasn't been many accidents attributed to alcohol down to the fact that there is, generally speaking, one sober crew member on board?
It could be. Is that your experience?
Or is it the case "generally speaking" that neither pilot's ability to fly is impaired by alcohol?

No, of course the statistics don't exonerate alcohol as being debilitating to a pilot's ability to undertake his roles nor, equally obviously, do they point to the fact that it's ok to have a wee tipple before boarding an aircraft as flight crew. Is that common practice these days in your experience?

Statistics - Never tell the whole story.
What's the whole story?
Is it your experience that pilots commonly fly whilst impaired by alcohol?
I'm led to believe, by sources I regard as reliable, that there has been a significant culture change during recent decades. Have I been misled?

Stanwell
Flying Lawyer; Oh, I see, so there's no difference between 'any' and a statistically 'minute number'? Hmm.

I thought it highly unlikely that I would have said that so I checked my post. I didn't.

(BTW, I've noticed that you often begin your posts with a full stop.
Why? Just curious.)

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 2nd Nov 2014 at 14:51.