PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planned Media Release re CASA Misinformation
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 09:25
kaz3g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies... This got stuck in the prune juice...

So creamy. If we followed the NAS as approved by cabinet the frequency boundaries would not have been put back on the charts.
Which Cabinet and when, Dick? Cabinet doesn't make the rules under the present system of government and Parliament gave that responsibility to CASA. If Cabinet wants to change this it needs to change the law.

...in this case it would not be possible to comply with the CASA NOTAM as a pilot would not know the " area " frequency to be on
A bit awkward for all those aircraft flying from those unmarked airfields wishing to depart in CTA.

You conveniently also have ignored the evidence I gave re the serious breakdown of separation between a 747 and another airline because a VFR pilot was giving postion reports on an ATC control frequency.
You gave anecdotal evidence, Dick. It would have more credibility if you provided information about the circumstances including when and where (sorry, it's the lawyer thing) and what actually occurred. Was the VFR pilot acting in accordance with the rules at the time?

In the Sydney area on a weekend we have 100's of VFR annoucements being re transmitted on the Sydney approach frequency including parachuting at Wyong and Wollongong and announcements from aircraft at Brooklyn Bridge and other places.
Those parachutists are being dropped from 14,000 and 15,000 feet respectively. The jump aircraft are clearly in class C and are getting clearances precisely because of potential conflict with other Aircraft in that airspace. Bit embarrassing if one of the jumpers met up with an RPT on descent into Sydney.

The calls at Brooklyn Bridge are mandated (and have been for yonks) because they are aircraft entering the VFR lane below class C (2500) and it gives the RIS chappie a little peace of mind to know that they know they are there and where they are going.

At the same time the controllor is giving separation instuctions to Airbus 380's and 747's and the crew of these aircraft are forced to listen to this irrellevent traffic. It's obvious that an Airline pilot from China Southern or other foreign airlines would most likely have no knowledge of where Brooklyn Bridge or Wyong was!
Some may be irrelevant to the foreign captain but not to the controller working to ensure separation in, and avoid unauthorised incursions into CTA.

Imagine being an airline pilot flying a wide body into Heathrow or LAX and having VFR aircraft jamming the frequency with Position announcements. It would never happen as their airspace is properly planned .
I don't know about these things, Dick but I like a good argument based on facts, not imagination. Where is the evidence that VFR aircraft are jamming area frequencies? How would you separate a jump aircraft flying at 14000 from an RPT descending through the same levels?

Creamy. This is all rellevant to the current argument that you do not grasp - CASA advice to give taxiing and circuit calls on frequencys also used to separate airline aircraft will never be sensible - no matter how few calls you can childishly try and prove may or may not happen
I can't speak for Creamy and he does very well speaking for himself, but I have appreciated the information flow that is provided by Area controllers as I have doddered along on my VFR flights.

I have been grateful for warnings that parachutists are about to drop into the rather busy environs of Point Ormond (midway along the busiest bit of The very busy coastal route between Moorabbin and Point Cook) while I transited same; or the Yarra Valley as I approached that beautifully scenic place from the north. I have heard JR calling in vain on Area to alert an errant pilot that he/she is heading directly into the Nagambie drop zone...they don't learn, Jack, that you try to keep them safe!

And I'm yet to hear anyone taxiing at an unmarked airstrip call anyone.

But the reality is, Dick, you don't have to convince me. I saw Dick Gower post a view similar to your own and I have huge respect for his contribution to GA over many years. So you seem to have RAPAC on side and you have a new DAS to lobby now.

I actually agree it would be better to have a separate FS for VFR and use 126.7 at all those unmarked LGs, but in this brave world of user pays it probably ain't gonna happen. If it does it will be the end of what is left of GA.

The fall back is the status quo.

Kaz