PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Captain Reduced Power Before NYC Crash Landing
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 00:55
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reducing toward VREF? In nil wind normally you should be at slightly less than VREF at the flare since the flare itself causes speed reduction naturally.
According to the FCTM you shouldn't be less than VREF at the flare. The FCTM states "... maintain VREF plus the wind additive until approaching the flare. The steady headwind additive is bled off before touchdown while the gust correction is maintained until touchdown. Plan to touchdown at VREF plus the gust correction." So, in nil wind you should be at VREF + 5 until approaching the flare & then bleeding off the 5 kts to be at VREF at touchdown. Boeing do allow for the speed to drop below VREF prior to touchdown, as per the FCTM statement - "With proper airspeed control and thrust management, touchdown should occur at no less than VREF - 5 knots." So carrying extra speed to avoid touching down at less than VREF is also an incorrect technique.

Flying the aircraft the way Boeing recommends is not just fine in theory, but also works in practice as well.

does that mean you will inevitably balloon? I don't think so. I would have thought it was pilot technique (skill) that prevents ballooning. Excess speed over VREF is a well known factor in one cause of ballooning but prevention is a pilot skill.
I agree entirely. Miss-handling by over-rotation in the flare or snatching at it will generally lead to ballooning. However, in my experience, this is exacerbated by excess speed & those who have experienced this tend to compensate by flaring less & landing flat. Add to that the fact that most seem to be more concerned with being slow than fast & tend to carry excess speed, means that flat landings with the possibility of wheel-barrowing are common place, particularly at flap 40 which gives a more nose down attitude. I say that most are more concerned with being slow than fast because I observe pilots flying the approach above bug more often than on bug or below. And when 'speed" is called when required by SOP, they almost always automatically push the power up first, then look at the speed & correct.

My point was that if you are on the correct speed, reduce power at the correct point & rate, & then flare the aircraft properly, you will not bang it on at flap 40. And you will not land flat either.