PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Sacking Tarmac Engineers
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 00:27
The Big E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite Right.

Getting upset at your fellow engineers for Certifying what they're entitled to Certify for isn't going to stop the condensing of functions to less people.
Case in Point. In the early 80s I was a Senior LAME at POM - A snivelling prick (who was ex East West and an F27 and F28 E&I LAME) dobbed me in to the PNG CAA for changing an Inertial Navigation Unit on a B707, and Certifying for it. He had a chip on his shoulder and went straight to CAA without making the diligent enquiries internally within the Company.
A newly recruited CAA Airworthiness Surveyor duly came to the Hangar and asked me to visit him at his Office, which I subsequently did soon after finishing my shift. During the interview I dragged out of him as to who had reported this totally non notifiable action.
I then proceeded to educate this Surveyor on the contents of the then CAOs (direct reprint of the ANOs) including the limitations and priviledges of my current and valid Airframe and Engine Extension(a) under which I had Certified for the INU change. Quite funny how the conversation suddenly went silent from his side of the fence though.
Point here is that there has always been continuing evolvement, and the days of the single Category (one armed bandit) have been gone for the last 40 years plus. The B1 is now the latest iterration of this process.

For the sake of professionalism ya all keep up the good work now, and minimise the internal bickering for the sake of your fellow workmates, as everyone is all in this together.
Regards, B E.