PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 1st Nov 2014, 21:53
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rolex "Geneva".

Some weeks after the end of GW1, my extended stay in Bahrain following redeployment from Riyadh paid off. I knew Bahrain like the back of my hand, and heading back from points East, looked forward to the couple of days we were to spend at my old haunt, the Diplomat. The Eng, who I'm sure is the same chap as in AA62s recent shots, was intent on acquiring a cheap Rolex watch, and, I was successful in introducing him to the "man who could help" in the souk, on our first night. A purchase was made, and our centre seat stalwart duly owned half a pound of "top quality" Rolex.

The next morning, after breakfast and as we lay at poolside in the warming sun, a large splash was heard. Our Eng was doing some aquatic exercise, and three lengths of the pool later, joined us on the recliners, ready to face the rest of our day off. After less than an hour, our Eng uttered a cry of disbelief, and handed me his recently purchased watch. He had worn it for his swim, it was awash, half filled with water, and had not functioned as a watch for, just short of one hour, as witnessed by the time it had stopped. Well said I, why are you giving it to me? " You are the ground engineer Smudge" he said, "We're on the ground, do your job". So I took the watch to my room. I had a set of watchmakers screwdrivers (who didn't) and duly took apart the watch, after only a few minutes exposure, the internals were showing signs of corrosion (I really mean rust) and we're obviously beyond my limited abilities (I'm no M**k L***y). So I consigned the guts to the scrap heap and inserted a new face. Hand crafted on cardboard was a clock face, stopped at the time the watch ceased to function. In lieu of "Rolex Geneva", I inserted "Bollux Bahrain". On returning the case and strap to my esteemed colleague, he took it well, accepted that my talents were better directed at Allison engines and Elsans, and we all went home happily ever after.

I went to somewhere in the states with that Eng a few months later, he was still wearing the watch, it still had my cardboard insert, and he was being careful to take it off when he went for a swim. Now that's a bloke that learns quickly!!!!! Somehow, I would not be surprised if he posted on this thread that he still has his watch.

Smudge