PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot over drink/drive limit removed from aircraft
Old 1st Nov 2014, 21:49
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stanwell
Please educate yourself before you come back on here - it is not our place to drag you from such ignorance.
Is that your way of saying that you have no idea of the answer to the entirely reasonable question sharksandwich asked?
Or were you just trolling?

"not our place"?
On whose behalf were you purporting to speak?
I ask only because my experience of PPRuNe over many years is that the overwhelming majority of contributors respond courteously to questions and are happy to provide the answer if they know it.

Oh, goodness me! Where would you like me to start?
I notice you live in Australia so you might like to start here:
Accidents and Incidents Involving Alcohol and Drugs in Australian Civil Aviation: 1975 - 2006
The ATSB database was searched for accidents and incidents in which either alcohol or drugs (legal or illicit) were detected post-mortem or believed to have been significant causal or contributory factors in an aviation occurrence. In that period (just over 31 years):
  • of 160,338 occurrences (incident or accident), 36 were either drug or alcohol-related. ie 0.02%
  • of those 36 drug/alcohol occurrences, 22 were alcohol.
  • of the 8,302 accidents, 32 were either drug or alcohol related. ie 0.4%.
  • 61% of drug/alcohol occurrences were in private flying operations.
  • The next most common was agricultural ops at 11%.
  • Drug and alcohol occurrences in the airline operations category: NONE
  • The ATSB found that the results of the study were "consistent with other international experience."
And then, if you felt able to spare just a little more of your valuable time, perhaps you could deal with the data since 2006?

sharksandwich
Have there been many accidents when intoxication has been the main factor?
No.
Over the decades since air accident investigation records have been kept, and despite the millions of miles flown every year, only a minute fraction of accidents and incidents have been found (or suspected) to have been caused or contributed to by alcohol.

FL

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 1st Nov 2014 at 22:17.