PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Captain Reduced Power Before NYC Crash Landing
Old 1st Nov 2014, 19:46
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be interested to know if crews would brief (at TOD) for any anomalies between the locations of the PAPI and the glide path transmitter.

Is it common on US charts for this information to be published? In EU it is normally the ILS TCH. Once again we might be having the debate about which glide path indicator is primary; ILS or PAPI. My own philosophy is if in doubt ILS. That's what an autopilot would fly on an auto land and it is checked/maintained to a higher fidelity; or so I've always been told/believed.
I remember BALPA Tech chap pies having a discuss over the use of HUD's. One point raised was how the non-HUD pilot could monitor what the HUD flying pilot was seeing and responding to. I assumed that a HUD displaying an ILS G.S. would match the basic PFD ILS G.S. Thus monitoring that parameter should be possible. Not so easy on a visual final with HUD displaying FPV to touchdown. The PM might have to use Mk.1 eyeball or PAPI; and therein lies a hole in the cheese. Thus are HUD's on a 2 crew civilian airliner necessarily a better/safer item?