PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Noise complaints lead to a vandalised helicopter
Old 1st Nov 2014, 18:56
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The whole thing is a numbers game: Having airliner traffic landing at runway 11 in Vienna means they are descending above roughly 200.000 residents in during their less than 3000ft AGL approach path section, with duration of noise app. 60secs.

Personall'y I'd say one landing per hour is irrelevant, maybe even a feature, along the lines of "damn, that must be the 2PM flight, I gotta do ...".
Ramping up towards two flights per hour, maybe even four per hour, like the old mantlepiece clocks chiming every 15 mins is still ok, at least for a +1.5 million people city. Mind you I'm speaking as an aviation afficinado and helo pilot, YMMV.

But directing an airliner every 90secs over that path is a major nuissance, especially in calm no-wind or even slight tail wind weather.

Thus
it all boils down to find a number of flights (per flight path) per day that the majority of residents can be convinced of being tolerable in a modern, free world. A gentle reminder that neither party owns the sky could be a levelling intro speech.
That task requires cooperation and tolerance on both sides.

Once these numbers (per flight path) have been established it's up to the operators to split the cake evenly among them. Again, this requires cooperation and tolerance among all operators, and some backing up by authorities, to prevent a new, "****'em, airspace is class G" type op ruining the delicate balance.

I'd say both parts are hard work, but worth attempting. Chances of success will diminish steeply when temper rises. Being polite and explaining the cost a smashed window resulted in could both be unxepected news for the residents.

Good luck & go for it.