PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GLIDING: 'We fly nearly every day of the year'
Old 1st Nov 2014, 11:08
davydine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"
Aerotow is £35 per launch, so if I had, say, 3 aerotow launches in one day then that's already over £100 and that's before the per minute charge!

Or is it more common to have a mixture of winch/aerotow?
I would say it is more common to mix winch and aerotow, with the emphasis on winch. The club I flew from was winch only and you paid for glider hire from take off to touch down.

The standard was that you arrived at the club and put your name on the flying list, then you helped out with launching and retrieving gliders, keeping the log and retrieving cables until it was your turn to fly. Then you would have two winch launches back to back (unless you had a longer soaring flight, in which case it was just one). Once you had completed your flights you could put your name down again and repeat the process, but it usually got dark before my name got back to the top so usually just 2 flights per day.

If aerotowing then it was as above but you would only have 1 flight at a time, however some clubs may be different.

If winch launch is £8 and glider hire £0.70 then bank on 2 flights per day at about £15 per flight maybe the odd day with double that.

My journey to solo was 48 launches and 9hours and 4 minutes air time. So the average flight time was 11 minutes. All but 3 of these flights were winch launch, so the average price was just over £15 per flight in todays money