PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Marham posting
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2014, 08:34
ian16th

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloodhounds at Marham

Im surprised to hear that the Bloodhounds were at Marham as late as the 90's. They arrived during my 1st tour, circa 1960.

It was eerie if near them when it was quite, with no a/c movements and several of them would start tracking something.

In my time, the Bloodhounds were 242 Sqdn and part of Fighter Command. This caused me to reach the peak of my 'athletic' career!

On 214 Sqdn, we were very keen on winning things, especially if it meant beating 148 Sqdn. I dunno where the rivalry came from, and 49 and 207 Sqdns weren't involved. As a result we would enter for absolutely any competition/sports event that happened.

Come the Inter-Section Athletics, if we entered and finished an event we scored a point, and we could enter 2 men per event. So we did, skill and/or experience not necessary, just finishing. I enter an event that I could do, and when it came to filling the gaps, I am entered for the odd place in the 2 Mile Walk.

Come the day, I do my best, and to everyone's surprise, including mine, I came 3rd.

The guy who came 2nd was from 242 Sqdn.

As a result, come the 3 Group Athletic Championships, I'm in the Station Team as I was the 2nd guy who was qualified to represent Marham.

I played rugby and cricket for a few station teams, but this was my only 'athletics' at a representative level

Last edited by ian16th; 1st Nov 2014 at 08:44.