PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planned Media Release re CASA Misinformation
Old 1st Nov 2014, 08:21
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Industry reps - fools - what would they know.
You mean to say that you don't provide input to your representative association on airspace and other matters? If you have a view or an opinion, then may I suggest that you are the fool!

Like any representative body, they are only as good as the people on them that spend their time trying to make things better for all of us. The industry reps on the RAPACs come from every sector of the industry, from airlines to U/L's and probably know a lot more than you think. You are bound to have a rep somewhere if you bother to ask about.

So if I broadcast a taxi call on area frequency, I clog up important comms between ATC and airliners.
Indeed you may, depending on the area and your elevation and the position of the area frequency aerial.

But if I broadcast a MAYDAY on area frequency, nobody will hear me
Again, depending on your position and altitude, you may not be heard by Centre, but you may be heard by high flyers who can relay. Same goes for 121.5 as it is SOPs of the airlines to monitor that freq when above transition.

I would suggest that 121.5 would get you on average a better response than the area frequency in many locations. There are always high flyers about 24hrs a day and from above FL300 the coverage is very wide. And of course there is no boundaries on 121.5