PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2014, 20:47
wethersfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An excellent revenue / marketing opportunity was lost for SEN on Wed evening to capitalise on the LCY low cloud weather closure (from lunchtime onwards with Low Viz Procedure, but i wonder if SEN management were made aware of this opportunity before them) and STN not accepting diverts due the AN 26 security alert late pm (as well as LGW on low vis and initially refusing diverts during the evening) but in the end only a measly 2 diverts were accepted with Thames radar telling a/c SEN was "full" (assume from info received from SEN ATC who may have been under orders from management) - other than 3 FLYBE "scheduled" diverts that were earlier booked LCY. Believe 3 of the 10 stands are out of use regularly ( understand some used for parking ground equipment which could easily be placed elsewhere) so a bit of chaos at a time when they could have earned some well needed extra off peak money had they been available and made it easier for the ops personnel in handling more aircraft. SEN management should ensure urgently that all 10 stands are available 24/7(as proved here, stands mean money) ready for any last minute problems at LCY particularly with winter looming - most aircraft are holding overhead before deciding where to divert when LCY not available and it is so easy to drop down in there and have the pax on the trains for london in next to no time with less hassle for the aircrew and a cosy bed in the Holiday Inn on site. it is the natural first diversion for LCY aircraft although from monitoring some airlines pilots do not seem aware of its existence - Luxair, Alitalia city liner, Lufthansa, Swiss to name a few. SEN marketing management need to urgently push it as a first diversion for LCY aircraft these and other airlines offering the full service accordingly and realise the major revenue potential in doing so by their strategic position - more so since Manston closed. Previously SEN have handled diverts in double figures through the new terminal with no major problems. Also understand they do not possess towbars for the EMB 170/190 (despite handling for a few years) which causes problems at the stands for this very popular aircraft series. That needs to be rectified urgently - i will even give Stobart a loan to pay for them if necessary ahead of the winter diverts which may help to boost my withering investment in the Stobart Group. This is not a gripe against SEN ops personnel who do an excelle
nt job but a wake up call to my local airport management where i have been following its fortunes since the good days of the 1950's and wish to see it go forward to its maximum potential ASAP