PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sidearms
Thread: RAF Sidearms
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2014, 19:11
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was in Borneo in 1965 I was issued with a S&W .38 and two boxes of six round 1947 ammunition. These would struggle, and in several cases didn't, to get out of the barrel. Somebody told me that, with a little bit of modification, you use 9mm. ammunition.
I begged for some 9mm. from the Gurkhas and they obliged with a box of 1,000 rounds. A roll of blade tape used on the leading edge of the Whirlwind's rotor blades to prevent corrosion would tear easily into approx 5mm. strips. Winding these around the case and filling in the extractor indent of a 9mm. round left you with a ridge that would retain the cartridge in the S&W chamber when the hammer hit it.
You couldn't miss! The S&W is far better balanced than the 9mm Browning and the extra kick from having a higher charge was unnoticeable. Six rounds into a fuel drum at 25 yards was simple. The only drawback was that to unload the chambers you had to push the spent cartridges out with a screwdriver. The cases weren't reused and in any case they were a tighter fit when they came out than when they went in.
I put about 400 rounds though it in a couple of weeks without any ill effects on the weapon.