PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Marham posting
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2014, 15:49
Pom Pax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
King's Lynn

After 3 months you'll only refer to King's Lynn as 'Lynn' [although you'll be aware it was Bishops Lynn until the Reformation
Probably in the Summer of 1945 I was taken on a rail excursion with the rest of the village kids to Hunstun. Now when the train pulled into King's Lynn the platform porter called out "Lynn Regis". On enquiring as to why he was calling this out, I was told "Because its Royal". Further confusion was when the train left the station backwards and we had not even been to the seaside.
Having been educated in Naarfulk I cun speak the lingo, in fact I was probably in my teens before I wur corrected frum saying "Windowscreen". I only graduated to drinking bitter when I was of legal age to order my own. After M & B it was quite shock to the pallet.
I fell sorrow for those now in a village with no pub but the county went into decline when Bullards and Lacons ceased to exist.

And blame Dr Beeching for not being able to change at South Lynn for King's Lynn. The M & G N would have given you a direct train to Brum.

Last edited by Pom Pax; 31st Oct 2014 at 16:01. Reason: Railways