PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2014, 12:21
Keke Napep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop The Heavy Hand of Akin

Despite Nigeria having been declared Ebola free by the WHO, Akin is continuing to impose EVD restrictions on staff, particularly on visitors to company accommodation and the status of the staff members, with a warning that flouting of this policy will lead to 'summary dismissal'. That's interesting, I thought that such things could only happen if this was in an employee's contract of employment . I sense the hand of a certain security contractor in this, who would like to see us all on total lockdown and disapproves of anybody having Nigerian friends .
Ebola is indeed a deadly disease, and preventing it needs to be taken seriously. However, malaria kills far more people and just giving people free prophylaxis is not doing enough. Every window needs a mosquito screen, all beds need mosquito nets and rooms and offices need regular spraying with insecticide. Typhoid and salmonella are also prevalent in Nigeria, but I'm not convinced that kitchens in all company accommodation are as clean as they should be - when you always give catering contracts to the lowest bidder whose standards are no better than those in Mumbai, you'll get what you pay for (and that's not just food ).
I also sense the heavy hand of Houston in all this as most of the denizens of the head shed are convinced that most of we Africans are barely civilised savages who live in mud huts and eat bush meat. Maybe they should look first at the state of their own country . It looks as if the reign of the diehard 'old colonialists' is well and truly back in Bristow Nigeria - the more things change, the more they stay the same