PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF pilots secret raids in Yemen - Telegraph article & Storm Front book (merged)
Old 31st Oct 2014, 10:23
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Ah! "My First Strike in Dhofar".

By an amazing coincidence, when recently clearing out old boxes in the garage (well - it was easier and cheaper than a divorce!) I came across an original of the "SOAF Songsheet", which I recall being typed up by Dave Long (RIP) as I sat alongside him in Skid Row (with a certain amount of alcoholic lubrication), as we tried to remember all the words - well, we'd written lots of them ourselves.

I'll photocopy some and take to the Dinner next month, and I will also - in slower time - scan it and forward it to anyone interested. It runs to 9 sides of A4, and includes other such classics as "We are the Jolly Helis", "Who Shot Young Robin" and "I Don't Want to be a Strikie" (in the last of which I modestly claim credit for composing the memorable line: "Living off the Earnings of an Embassy Typist.")

Too many memories ..... but I'll quote Dave Long's introductory rubric from the top of page one:
The following songs were composed by members of 1 (Strike) and 3 (Heli) Squadrons SOAF during the months following the 19th August 1975. It was on this date that Ra'ees Tayaar R**** F******, 1 Sqn, first demonstrated the efficiency of SAM-7. These songs are dedicated to all those members of 1 & 3 Squadrons who operated under it's (sic) shadow - hang loose!