PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sidearms
Thread: RAF Sidearms
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2014, 09:38
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is why we switched from the Browning 9mm SLP to the Walther PP? As I understand it, it was the introduction of arm restraints on the Mk10 ejection seat on the Tornado and the fact that the larger weapon under your arm in a shoulder holster could could break your arm as they were pulled in tight on ejection. The PP is smaller and wouldn't do this - however, when we went to the Combat Survival Waistcoat this was no longer a problem, so I never understood why we didn't go back to the SLP.

I used to carry 2x PPs with me over Iraq due to their somehat 'flakey' nature. I also remember there being a dodgy batch of Pakistani made 9mm ammo that was discovered and we all got about 10 mags to fire off on one CCS session. I also remember that a RAF Regt Cpl saved me from serious injury on the range when I was firing. Whilst going through a mag there was soft sounding bang from my weapon - as I went to recock the Cpl shouted "STOP!" at the top of his voice and took the weapon out of my hand. There was a bullet stuck half in/half out of my pistol due to the crap ammo - had I fired again the gun would have exploded in my face!

Over my various op flying sorties over Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan I have carried Browning 9mm SLP, Walther PP, L85 A2 (the shorter carbine variant), Sig 226 and a Diemaco C8. I felt the most confident with the last 2! I have also carried a PP whilst flying out of Goose - I think that was so that I could p!ss off the bear and then shoot myself!!!

LJ