PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK PPL(SSEA) to EASA PPL(SEP)
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2014, 09:10
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK,

Let's get back to basics:

RickMoss said the person in question, himself, has never held SEP or MEP ... but wants to fly his Europa. And all Europas are light aircraft. So he must have a "light aircraft licence".

Well, I count about 9 licences that might allow recreational flying!!! (excluding balloons, airships, TMGs, helicopters etc)

CPL
ATPL
EASA SEP
JAR SEP
EASA LAPL
Old PPL (A)
Old PPL (Micro)
NPPL (SSEA)
NPPL (Micro)

Basically, if someone has a C42 Ikarus, you would have to check its paperwork to see if it was a light aircraft or a microlight, and then check if one of at least NINE licence types was valid.

How did we get here? This is just ridiculous. No wonder RM - and the rest of us - are confused as to what licence is need for which aircraft!

And then we can have someone with 100 hours on a tailwheel microlight passing their LAPL etc on a nosewheel (since few flying schools have a taildragger) and then they'll have to do 3 hours "differences" training!

Aaaargh!

ps. Did I mention there are five medicals: EASA Class One and Two, LAPL, and NPPL Group One and Group Two.

Just to make it more confusing, a Class One is better than a Class Two, but a Group One is worse than a Group Two! My head hurts, so which medical does that leave me with?