PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sidearms
Thread: RAF Sidearms
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2014, 03:23
Like This - Do That

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NickPilot
Is the self proclaimed lack of skill an example of British understatement, or is there some failing in sidearm training in the UK forces?
Nick, probably a bit of both. I'm guessing that the British forces are like us in Australia in that regard. Outside of SF, handgun training is to get someone to a standard to pass the qualification practice. As for shooting for proficiency .... pfft! Training programme approved, Ops Cell sign off, stores request for the weapons, ammo request, range booking, write a Range Instruction, do a risk assessment signed to be off by the CO, range coord meeting .... I'm sorry to say that for all the fun a day at the range is, and for all the potential training value, it's just not worth it.

That's just for proficiency; forget the sort of expertise needed when you're terrified, banged up, hands shaking, on the ground in a strange land you've just bombed!

I suspect our American cousins are more likely to be able to do their own proficiency shooting. It's nigh on impossible to own a handgun in Aus just for the fun of shooting; can be done, but the hoops through which one must jump make it almost unfeasible.

As a junior cavalry officer I was the best shot in my Regiment ... with the rifle. 9mm SLP Mk3 however, I was diabolically bad. The only bloke in the Regiment who was any good at it was a commando who had corps transferred to the Armoured Corps. He'd had lots and lots of time on the tools, so to speak, and his musle memory hadn't faded.