PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spring airlines
Thread: Spring airlines
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2014, 02:39
USMCProbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
390Blue;

I agree with everything 390BLUE said, but would like to expand a bit. He said he is approaching the 5 year mark in China. There are very, very few expats that last that long, for many reasons, mostly medical.

It is not that you will fail a medical, because you probably will. It is that you will fail to many, and get tired of losing a couple months pay. It is you will be told you have to have a procedure done at your expense, and the real doctor you hire says he can't find anything wrong. Worse, they can say they found something, and you have to have surgery at THEIR hospital to correct it. For all of these reasons, I have seen pilots resign.

How to survive? Well, if you have two months off every 6 due to medical, just take an extended vacation. I saw a couple pilots do this twice a year, every year. They made more than enough the other 8 months of the year.

China is a good gig if you can get the job. But it is not for everyone. I would say it is most suited for a pilot from another airline on a leave of absence, etc. It is good to have a job to go back to. That reduces the stress of failed medicals.

What 390BLUE said applies not just to China, but to any expat job.