PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2014, 20:47
newb1112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Website crashed due to 'overwhelming' response

From the VA website:
"We know that Virgin Atlantic is a great place to work but the number of applications for our new pilot cadet scheme has been overwhelming. So much so that the website hosted by CTC, the company who are providing the training, has struggled to cope with demand."

It makes me wonder why they set the requirements so low: only 5 GCSEs with Cs in Maths, English and Science, when the Easyjet MPL, Flybe MPL, Cityflyer MPL, Aer Lingus cadet scheme and BA FPP all require A Levels.

I'm not saying that all the candidates called for interview will have only 5 GCSEs, I'm just pointing out they could have cut down on a lot of applications.

The other thing that strikes me as strange is how widely publicised this scheme is... it's all over the news. Surely any prospective future A330 F/O worth his salt would already be in touch with the current cadet recruitment scene and be able to make his way to the CTC website without the BBC, national newspapers and radio telling him to do so?

Or perhaps this is one of those schemes not aimed at those who have ever had the thrill of flight in a PA28 or C150, know what a swept wing is or how a jet engine works... but for someone who couldn't find anything to do with their degree or got bored of accounting. Half of my friends are applying and most of them wouldn't know what an A330 was if it hit them in the face.

Maybe I'm just bitter because it know that there are going to be thousands and thousands of applicants, possibly in the tens, and I know I don't stand a snowballs chance in hell. Nevertheless CTC will still pinch my hard earned £250 if I'm lucky enough to be called down to Dibden.

Last edited by newb1112; 30th Oct 2014 at 21:18.