PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changing SOP's
Thread: Changing SOP's
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2014, 20:47
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
That is one disadvantage of hiring direct entry captains. However sometimes an airline has no choice e.g. during rapid expansion or when first officer experience does not meet the command criteria.
Many years ago, when I already had considerable experience on type, I was hired by Iran Air. This was before the revolution. The selection procedure was great. I was asked to outline how I was accustomed to flying the F27 and was allowed to use my own SOP for the evaluation. Off we went with the Fleet Captain in the RHS. He did enough to satisfy himself that I had some idea of how to operate, then offered me the job. On one clear understanding. I was to ditch all my old ways and learn their way, which was quite different. And as I soon realised, was actually far better and far more suited to the local environment.
Much of their SOP stayed with me in later years when it was my turn to develop procedures.
When hiring pilots, they always got the "my way or the highway" speech as well.
To temper such a seemingly dictatorial attitude from on high, all operators should have a formalised system to allow pilots to suggest SOP change and if suggestions are discarded, chief pilots should provide feedback as to why.