PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 9
Thread: Ryanair - 9
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2014, 10:28
pee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings from Scandinavia! Well, Finland is certainly not the biggest nor the most centrally located country in the Northern Europe, but it does represent some very typical lifestyle features and common values for Scandinavians.

I have to agree, Ryanair has failed to impress here. For many years I've read the comments on travellers' discussion forums. Very cautious at the beginning, with some restrained optimism later on, for many of us Ryanair became acceptable, but most people never agreed with some customer relations policies and harsh rules. Travellers have barely accepted things like hidden fees and lack of "caregiving" and customer appreciation. Bear in mind that all Scandinavian countries are welfare states and people are used to be treated with more pronounced care. The mentality / delicacy issues used to be underestimated by MOL, now it takes its toll. In a somewhat paradoxical way the negative results are apparent now (with some delay) while many of the mentioned "nasty" policies are actually being reshaped nowadays.

Also in Finland Ryanair's activities have fallen quite dramatically. Former "hit" routes like HHN - TMP are suspended for the winter and next summer will run only twice a week. One more explanation: HHN used to be a popular transfer airport for Finnish passengers. With just two flights a week it is virtually impossible to plan any connecting flights (just another underestimated habit of FR pax).

I believe the carrier's imago will improve in the future and that will have a positive impact on Ryanair's returns. Finland still has one of the highest flight prices in Europe, look at Helsinki - Warsaw route for example. No competition, prices high. Some simple routes like this one could be very profitable.