PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Chief Executive
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2014, 07:27
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"CASA doesn't kill people, we do".

Creamie and Frank beat me to it, but I'm sorry WE are not responsible for killing people.

An inevitable result of what we do as aviators, carries a risk of fatalities. Just living your life carries that risk, even if you lock yourself in your house and never go outside there is a risk.

Unfortunately, in this modern world there is a reluctance to accept that every endeavor or pastime we involve ourselves in carry some element of risk and when things go wrong someone must be to blame.

Take the risk, and when fate steps in find someone to blame.

Aviation is perhaps the most risk averse industry in Australia

Okay I accept that there are people who will push the boundaries, there are in any industry, look how many trucks get grounded, but the vast majority of aviators try to the (best of their abilities) to manage the risks.

I put that in brackets because in the USA the "abilities" are constantly being improved by education rather than beating people over the head with indecipherable regulation, threats, intimidation and sanctions.

Their safety record is improving, ours is declining. It would appear their system is working ours is failing

By destroying GA, regulating it out of existence, will CAsA improve safety??

I'll give one example to illustrate why that is a fallacy.

A charter operator had a long term client. They conducted a weekly flight to their mine sight.
Over time the charter price had to increase to meet the ever increasing cost of the regulatory burden.
Ultimately the client decided it was more cost effective for them to utilize RPT to an airport nearest to their mine, then drive the rest.

Four of their management team were subsequently killed in a road crash on that journey.

Are WE to blame for those deaths, or is the regulator responsible for forcing the price of aviation to the point where it became unaffordable?

In todays world, price rules unfortunately.

Remember the two airlines monopoly?

Where the one way price of a ticket SY-BN was more than a weeks wages.

Family wedding in BN? no way an average family could afford to fly.

They would gas up the HJ, drive all night on Friday, then drive back Sunday, Mum Dad and the kids.

How many died or were maimed on that journey?

Is the aviation industry responsible for those deaths??

Recently we have seen our regulator conspiring to kill Charity flights.

Will they accept the deaths that occur by forcing those desperate people into their cars?

The FAA accepted that would be the consequence if they tried to regulate charity flights, they recognized Private aviation is safer than the highway, so they left it alone. Will CAsA? not a hope in hell, CVD pilots will attest to that.

One could say that the first death that occurs on the road after CAsA shuts down Angel Flight is premeditated Murder.

Would anyone is CAsA be held accountable? Not a chance in hell.

Last edited by thorn bird; 30th Oct 2014 at 07:40.