PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to let Jepessen go?
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2014, 23:22
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to let Jeppesen go?

This is an IFR charting question.

Like many, I have subscriptions to both AvPlan & Jeppesen.

AvPlan on the iPad is pretty good for flight planning and in flight VFR mapping. But all iPad apps are a pain to print from.

I like the Jepp charts much, much better than the AsA ones. I like the whole integration of the Jepp system. I like being able to print Jepp trip kits and the whole chart printing ability from a proper PC in the office connected to the networked colour laser printer.

But, the Jepp Flightview windows flight chart / flight planning programme is cr@p that doesn't seem to have had any recent development.

In the last couple of months I've been largely overseas and during that time a) my Jepp subscription expired and b) I got a new laptop.

Now, I'm having trouble getting enthusiastic about re-instating the $280-ish annual subscription compared with the $60 IFR upgrade for AvPlan. And I just know installing the Jepp software on a new PC will have its own difficulties. The saving from stopping the Jepp subscription would pay for a backup iPad pretty quickly.

Theoretically, we need to carry ERC charts, etc as paper - and I like spreading out a paper charts on occasions - but many of my friends have stopped carrying any paper maps and only carry paper approach plates for the flight.

So, what is the contemporary opinion? FTDK are you still carrying enough computing to stock a PC shop?

Last edited by Old Akro; 30th Oct 2014 at 07:34. Reason: Removed redundant "S"