PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Marham posting
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2014, 22:22
acmech1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you will find that a lot of the people that are commenting from fading memories of long ago. Bloodhounds 1992, don't think so,
Yes the quarters (all ranks) were dire, but now they have mostly been modernised and all have gas central heating. The maintenance is contracted the same as every where else. Television reception has improved with digital and satellite proving to be as good as anywhere countrywide. As for schools, cannot really comment as all of ours have flown the nest, but they were adequate at best when they were attending. Broadband is ok, not the fastest in the country but good enough for normal use, supposedly being upgraded soon, whenever that is.
The local towns, Kings Lynn, Swafham and Downham Market have a good selection of shops (so my wife tells me) with all the family sized supermarkets and DIY shops you could need, but you do need a car for convenience as the bus service is not 'every half hour at the end of the street' , but there is one, as long as you are ready to return by 6 in the evening.
The 3 pubs that were in the village have all gone, 2 are now private houses and the third, (the picture shows where it was) is now 16 houses. They closed because no one used them, not like the 70s when they were busy at least 3 nights a week. There are 2 or 3 pub/eateries within 5 miles that are very good, they must be or they would have shut with the rest.
There are some lovely beaches around the North Norfolk coast, and despite what some have said we do get the weather to enjoy them, there are also many places inland to visit, Sandringham and other BIG houses and the forest around Thetford to name a couple, you just have to travel a bit, but no more than any other location.

When I first arrived at Marham there were 3 Victor Tanker squadrons, so I have been here a while and have seen most things that Norfolk can throw at you and seen how much the station has changed, I recommend that you get here with an open mind and see for yourself, if you do not enjoy it, it may be your own fault