PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instructor Interview
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2014, 15:48
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PrivatePilotDA40NG,
I think your 17 Slide PowerPoint presentation is the basis for an excellent 'Lecture' on Circuits but, as others have said, I am not sure it is appropriate for a 'Briefing' - is this, perhaps, a misunderstanding on our part as to what you will be required to do?

There is some terminology which I am not sure of:

- After Take Off do not commence the turn to Crosswind until after the DER. What is DER?

- On Slide 10 you mention four 'Checklists' (After TO, Descent, Approach and Landing). Unless you are expecting the student to get out, and read from, a written Checklist I would suggest the term 'Checks' is better.

Why are you asking for 'Descent' Checks and 'Approach' Checks. Surely, as the aim is to Land, one set of 'Pre-Landing' Checks would be simpler?

As a Student, wanting to set the aircraft up for Landing, I would be very confused if told to set flaps 'Take Off'

You state that "On final maintain approach speed according to flap setting" and give that as either precisely 71kt, 73kt, or 75kt. "Maintain" suggests mandatory. Even if these are the numbers in the POH, are you really expecting a Student to be that accurate? Can you, yourself, demonstrate a final approach to that speed accuracy?

On Slide 11 you indicate a Downwind Call and an (optional) End of Downwind Call. I would emphasise that a Downwind Call is a position report and point out where 'Downwind' actually is (your 'speech bubble' is pointing to the correct position). You should change 'End of Downwind' which is meaningless to 'End of Downwind Leg' or 'Ready to Turn Base' which is a quite common requirement at controlled airfields.