PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford PPL training
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2014, 12:32
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I can get used to the stick...
I did - high motivation. Decades ago, on a crisp winter day, a fellow said to me, the Cessna yoke tricycle pilot through and through, "the Cub was just running, so it's warm, if you want to take it for a spin, go ahead". So there's a J-3 Cub on skis sitting there, and a large frozen lake ahead of it.

That day, I learned how to hand prop ('cause it had no starter), I figured out how to fly with a stick, I figured out how to fly a taildragger on skis (I had only an hour of taildragger time), and most importantly, I learned that not all carburettors have accelerator pumps, so if you jam the throttle, it's going to quit, and you'll have to get out and hand prop it again. They were all laughing at me when I taxiied back to shore an hour later - but I learned a number of things, and got used to the stick.

Now I own a plane with each arrangement - One tricycle, yoke, fixed prop, fixed wheels, push type throttle on the panel. The other, taildragger, stick, CS prop, retractable, overhead throttle, and T tail. Oh, and it also floats.

Fly as many different planes as you can.....