PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instructor Interview
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2014, 09:35
chrisbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a lot of sound advice here about keeping it simple.

All students are different and your approach to them has to take this into account. One place to pick this up is their approach to briefings.

The biggest failing of most instructors is that they talk too much, both during the briefing and in the air.

The result of this is that students inadvertently cop out of the learning process if all the are doing is flying the running commentary from the instructor.

The starting point for this usually occurs in the briefing with an assault of information showing how much the instructor knows but of little help for the student especially if there is no time for the student to sort out in their mind what they have to do. They go to the aircraft with "oh well I am not sure about that bit but he will tell me as we go along."

Genghis's comments on checklists is valid. I am not a fan of doing stuff in the initial part of circuit training that gets in the by of keeping control of the aircraft.
I picked up a student recently who was great on the radio, did all the checklists including lights on of final totally oblivious to the fact that he was not in control of the aircraft. He was disappointed to be told that not being in control of the aircraft outweighed the procedural expertise.

It did not take long to sort out both the student and the instructor.

As to the stalling keep it simple and make sure you don't pass on the incorrect theory of airflow over the aerofoil. There is another thread on the forum which busts the incorrect teaching of this.