PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Marham posting
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2014, 08:58
HTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a brief posting to Marham in '92, from LBH, in January, then back to HQ 2ATAF in April (how's that for personnel managmenmt). My OMQ was at West Raynham as the MQs on base were fully occupied (most of us were allocated wg cdr or above quarters in Atcherley Square, sqn ldr quarters in other select parts of the patch for the less senior JOs - the NCO/airman quarters were dire, needing much modernising).

The first couple of weeks I had no idea how I got to work, there was persistent heavy fog, so the road journey was a virtually blind adventure - don't know why we bothered as just about every day was black flag until midday (sometimes the whole day and night).

The base itself was the usual V-force sprawl with a couple of HAS sites (still occupied), so II(AC) was assigned a hangar/apron set up aka 'the waterfornt'. It is a typical near-coast flatlands place, although slightly elevated above the surrounding swamp (what passes for a major hill in Norfolk); plenty of wind and rain, except when there was fog and mist.

The locals speak with a strange accent and some dialect and seem to be related to just about everyone else (definition of a virgin in Norfollk: girl who can run faster than her father and brothers). 'Duelling banjos' springs to mind...

Otherwise, you can fall back on the old V-force description (from the civilised bases to the west of Marham): "El Adem with grass".

This will be of little use to you, as there may have been major improvements since I was there

Regards

Mister B