PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Marham posting
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2014, 08:02
jolihokistix

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts
Exclamation

No input must mean something!

Not military myself, but I have been to take part in the March 30-130 event there held in March each year. A wet and windy and desolate place indeed, and miles from anywhere, if you can even find it, so both you and your wife would need a car each to get anywhere like Cambridge, King's Lynn, Wisbech, Peterborough, Norwich, etc. Not too far from Cranwell. Lovely countryside for the kids, and good seaside on the north Norfolk coast.

The RAF lads looked like they enjoyed the fast cars event (mostly Mitsubishi Evos, Subaru Imprezas, Nissan Skyline GTRs etc.) and some got taken out for a blast. The tea and hamburgers were pretty desperate, I remember.

Me? I managed to come 12th or 13th in the acceleration from 30 mph to 130 mph, and reached about 180 mph before having to stomp hard on the brakes at the end of the runway. My speedo was showing 200 mph, but they put a V-box on your dashboard to get a more accurate satellite reading which comes up on the TV displays. A hare came lolloping across the runway and I assumed it would keep going so I didn't brake, but it stopped in the middle and turned to stare at me. Only just missed it by the skin of my teeth and was very lucky not to have crashed and rolled, as some have. (Pheasants etc.)

Well, you did ask!