PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planned Media Release re CASA Misinformation
Old 29th Oct 2014, 06:55
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The frequency biscuits have been eating away at me. The search function on PPRuNe is very useful.

Here’s an interesting snippet from a 2003 thread titled “NAS Chart simplification! why, why, WHY?”:
I'm told that these frequency information "biscuits" will not be on the VFR charts i.e. VTC & VNC. The only freq. info. on those will be the APP/Radar freq. within 30nm. The biscuits are purely for the IFR charts.

If you are VFR outside 30nm and want a RIS, or clearance to climb into CTA, or you are in a pickle, the only way to find out what frequency to call on would be to try Flightwatch.
A thread titled “NAS Frequency Boundaries continued” opens with some quotes from Hansard. Those quotes include:
Senator O’BRIEN—I have been informed that the meeting insisted on the inclusion of common appropriate—that is, area radio—frequencies on both instrument flying rules and visual flying rules charts together with their relevant FIO boundaries.

Senator O’BRIEN—I am informed that that meeting resolved that, although the removal of certain items from the maps might be compliant with the USA model, it was deemed unacceptable to occur without the fullscale architecture—that is, the risks were too high.

Senator O’BRIEN—There is a dispute about radio frequencies in these charts. As I understand it, the ARG deemed that meeting’s view inappropriate and decided to proceed without the frequency information being included on the charts.

Senator O’BRIEN—My understanding of the issue being complained about is that during transition the lack of frequency information on charts may lead to visual flying rules, pilots selecting an inappropriate frequency, so that when another aircraft broadcasts on the area frequency they just might not be aware of one another, therefore increasing the risk of collision.

Senator O’BRIEN—It has been put to me that at that meeting you personally assured the meeting that, should there be insufficient time to effect these changes to the charts, the implementation can be delayed to suit.

Senator O’BRIEN—It is put to me that Mr Heath, the convenor, wrote to you on 9 July confirming what I have described as the finding of the meeting and saying that ‘VNC and ERC charts to depict common or consistent local frequency’ and ‘to be depicted by FAOI boundaries’ and, further, that industry will accept a delay in the implementation if additional work is required to achieve these requirements in the 2b states. It is something similar to what you just said to me, but I am attempting to quote from the letter.
Dick

Just so I understand what you are asserting about the frequency biscuits, can you confirm that:

- the biscuits were included in the first editions of the VNCs and VTCs published without area frequency boundaries, and

- you always intended the biscuits to be included in those charts from the start?