PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Appropriate accommodation for pilot
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2014, 17:01
grumpytroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bring it with you

Find out what is actually there for you. Are there others folks there and how many. I think in most cases you will be amazed at what others have already done for comfort. Supply and demand provides a means for all kinds of comforts that you might think would never be available. Talk to someone who is there and get the lay of the land, then, think hard about what you will need to be comfortable.

One of the first things I would ask is can I get shipments of stuff brought in to somewhere I can get to often or easily. This might sound odd but I could get practically anything I wanted shipped to my base in Afghanistan even though it was very remote, even a huge selection of groceries. Amazon was very accommodating. Can't get that or something similar, then figure out how to bring it with you. How can you seal up a tent? Screen is light and cheap. Research comfortable ways to sleep in the bush. Its been done for centuries. A small Honda generator is lightweight and can power a small air conditioner (don't need much for a tent) and a small refrigerator plus a couple of LED lights. Bug spray..definitely. Please don't forget to bring a comfortable chair with a foot rest. Worth its weight in gold. A camping hammock, oh yeah. A camping shower...you'll be very popular. Beer makng kit...

Find out what they have, supplement with what you need and enjoy.

I hope you aren't replacing the last pilot who was eaten by a lion or a puppy size spider! If so, I recommend a Colt AR-15 with night scope. (a bit harder to get on Amazon)

In any case, enjoy it. A fantastic life experience awaits.