PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strong x-wind and prop aircraft...
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2014, 15:49
jcomm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strong x-wind and prop aircraft...

Dear All,

I was told about a type of effect that I couldn't imagine having such a big impact on a single prop aircraft, in particular if taildragger, when taking off under strong x-wind.

The said effect is described as resulting from the deflected propwash, as the pilot releases the brakes and starts his takeoff run.

Imagine a powerful P51, taking off, with the first detent of flaps, with a 15-20 knot direct x-wind component... As full power is applied, the propwash will be deflected downwind, and "wash" the right wing, and probably also the right horizontal stab. It can reach as much as 30m/s while the aircraft doesn't get to takeoff speed.

The result, given the additional lift generated on the right lift generation surfaces and the associated drag, can make the aircraft want to turn downwind, opposite of what I always thought was the only possible outcome, weathervaning... So, this will require from the pilot, the use of left rudder ( upwind rudder ??? ) and even a bit of right aileron ( downwind aileron ??? ) in order to counter the tendency to lift the downwind wing...

Now, being only a glider pilot, I usually use this forums to seek for opinions from you "lucky" guys with a prop ahead or by your sides, and in this particular case, I am really interested in hearing from taildragger pilots "mad" enough to takeoff under extreme x-wind situations :-)

What do you think? I am really confused about this one, and swear I thought that by far the wind played a much bigger role on every x-wind takeoff :-/

EDIT: On "TAILWHEEL THOUGHTS" I found described, under "CROSSWIND TECHNIQUE", an effect that can cause a slight moment opposing weathervane, but it's a completely different effect. Yet, it's caused by drag from the deflected aileron on the right wing, when the pilot applies "into the wind" aileron, so, it reinforces my beliefs in the effect I mention above as it was described to me, because it involves not only the drag from the aileron, but also from the "washed" portion of the right wing, considerably covered by the deflected propwash crossing it at a top 30m/s at the beginning of the takeoff roll...

Last edited by jcomm; 28th Oct 2014 at 19:23.