PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2014, 14:02
Auster Fan

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you mean you've come to a private arrangement with the parents of some of the ATC cadets... Sqns are specifically forbidden from organising anything.
Indeed so. As a fomer Wing Staff Officer and WGLO, from memory (and I assume it hasn't changed much since I left last year), there are very clear parameters that have to be met for Opportunity Flights (as they were called then), particularly around the experience of the aircraft commander (minimum 500 hrs P1 seems to spring to mind), if it were to be classed as a legitimate ATC activity and hence covered by insurance. One of my Squadrons tried to set up an arrangement with a local flying organisation and I had to meet and give them chapter and verse on what the minimum standards and processes to follow were from the appropriate guidance and at that point, nothing moved on. Whether it ever did, I don't know as I left the ACO not long afterwards, but its a route that has to be trod very carefully and could be a real bear pit if, God forbid anything went wrong. .